When injured due to a contaminated sharp object, exposure to a mucous membrane splash of blood or other body fluids containing blood:
- Stop current activity
- Wash injured areas well with water and soap. If mucus membranes are involved flush with water.
- Notify Manager and/or Charge Nurse of areas in which exposure occurred
- Manager and/or Charge Nurse will need to facilitate obtaining blood specimens from source patient
& FOLLOW UP
- One hour after source patient blood is sent to Lab, report to Corporate Health or call (312) 926-8282
- The operator will forward your call to the provider on call after normal business hours.
- Corporate Health or the provider on call will obtain source patient blood results and evaluate exposure
- Corporate Health or the provider will give you instructions on care and follow-up required
- Complete, on day of incident, Employee Incident Report (fax to 312-926-1787)
- Complete Safety Event Report